On Friday, November 17, Kenya won its first gold medal in a 5,000-meter race at the 14th Africa Masters Athletics Championships in Pretoria, South Africa. Thanks to the efforts of the 58-year-old marathoner Priscilla Biwott.
Along with other athletes, Priscilla arrived in South Africa on Thursday in preparation for the continental tournament. Among them were Julius Kipkoech Chemitei (assistant manager), Rose Tata (head of delegation), and Patrick Makau (team manager/head coach).
58 year old marathoner Priscilla Biwott wins a gold medal
Biwott participated in a race for female marathoners between the ages of 50 – 59 year, and surprisingly, she emerged the first with a time of 21:15.12. Her closest competitor, Elmarie Pretorius, came second with a time of 21:15.88, while Daleen Sonnekus, a South African, finished third in 21:23.25.
“History made! 58-year-old Priscilla Biwott secures Kenya’s first gold medal in the Women’s 5000m race at the 14th Africa Masters Athletics Championships in Pretoria, South Africa. A testament to Team Kenya’s endless talent,” read a statement by Team Kenya.
After her amazing victory in South Africa, Biwott was also anticipated to compete in the 10,000m race. In addition, Kenya also sent Sylvia Chematui to compete in the women’s 35–40 age group in the 400 and 1,500 meters, and Elizabeth Mutuka in the 200 and 400 meters for the 45 years and older.
Other participants Rebecca Kosoro in the shot put, hammer, and javelin; Regina Mulatya in the long and triple jump; Erick Sikuku in the 10 km and 5 km walk race; and Kenneth Mburu in the 10,000m and cross country events.
The remaining competitors were Abednego Chesebe (200 and 400 meters), Mercy Jepkemboi Kiptoo (5,000 meters and X-country), and Geoffrey Kipkemboi Terer (800 and 1,500 meters).
Top Facts about Priscilla Biwott
- Biwott has been running for the past forty years.
- She is a mother of four
- She took part in charitable races, one of which she ran to raise money for shoes for Kenyan refugees.
- Biwott defeated fifty competitors who were younger than her to place 16th in a regional athletics competition held in Kericho in July, which saw some competitors withdraw midway.
- Mary Moraa net worth, Sources of Income, Properties, and World Athletics Championships
- Faith Kipyegon biography; age, tribe, family, career, husband, baby, house, net worth, coach
- Ferdinand Omanyala biography, age, tribe, education, family, wife, children, awards, net worth